The “buy online and picking up in store” model is something that numerous retails, such as Wal-Mart, Best Buy, Target and more, are making a mad dash to try and master. Retailers that have eCommerce sites have realized the numerous benefits that come from using this model, which includes order fulfillment being handled in a more cost-effective fashion, as well as faster delivery.
However, the biggest benefit by far is the fact that it forces the customer to physically come to the store. This exposes the customer to season displays, clearance items and other promotions going on that they would have otherwise missed. These promotions and displays can trigger impulse buying tendencies that would be missed if the items were simply shipped to the consumer’s home.
Why Do eCommerce Customers Like The Buy Online And Pick Up In Store Approach?
In an attempt to refine and improve the model most retailers use; numerous surveys have been conducted to uncover some pretty interesting facts. Aside from the fact that customers view the ability to pick up an item at the store incredibly convenient, it is not the primary reason why customers take advantage of this process. It is reported that roughly 75% of the people surveyed said that the biggest attraction for them was the ability to get online pricing with the dismissal of shipping fees. That’s not all, however.
- Between 30 and 35% of customers said they did it because a store was near them.
- About 30% didn’t want to (or couldn’t) wait for delivery of the item.
- Approximately 10% of customers are worried about the packages being stolen while they are gone.
- Between 5 and 10% of customers did it because they were offered a discount to pick it up in store verse having it shipped.
- 20 to 25% of customers also said they were going to be at the store soon anyway, so it made the most sense to them.
How To Boost Your Buy Online, Pick Up In Store Results
The idea of having reduced your general fulfillment costs, sell more products, and have happier customers is something that is far too good to pass up. However, if you are not maximizing your efforts, your buy online, pick up in store model might end up costing you money. Here are a couple of ways you can give your model a boost.
- Use Direct In-Cart Messaging – While a customer is in the middle of checking out, when the customer is selecting their shipping method, highlight your pick up in store option and let them see for themselves the money they will save selecting this option. Since most eCommerce platforms have these as default options, all you have to do is turn it on in your settings menu and you’re all done.
- Show That The Item Is Available Now – If you look at some of the leading retailers, such as Target and Wal-Mart, you will see that they show you that an item is currently available for immediate pickup. This lets the customer know that, if they are in a pinch, they can purchase the item now and pick it up on their way home or send someone else to pick the item up. It’s a great approach for customers who are suddenly in a bind and feel as if they are trapped.
- Make Sure Your eCommerce Site Has A Store Locator Feature – People move and new stores open on a regular basis. You’d be amazed at how much of a boost adding a store locator feature to your site, and putting it into your header or footer, can make a difference. Make sure the information for each physical location includes, hours of operation, complete address, and phone number.
- Use As Much User-Generated Content As You Can – While it can be difficult to get your hands on a lot of social media content from your customers, it’s still possible. You can put up smaller promotions that ask customers to take pictures or selfies of themselves and or the products to share online via social media by using a specific hashtag. The idea is to let your customers share the success of your business and the enjoyment they get from using this service. The fact of the matter is, customers respond better to other customers, than they do the retailer themselves.
Cultura Interactive agency is an award-winning Fort Lauderdale web design studio that strives to create unique and attractive websites, and develop strategic digital online marketing campaigns for our clients.
Our team of professionals specialize in web design, logo design, WordPress development, eCommerce, responsive web design, mobile apps, SEO, social media marketing, pay per click advertising and more. Learn more about our services or contact us for a personal interview.